CSBT and the Cornwall Apprenticeship Agency
CSBT is delighted to be an approved partner with the Cornwall Apprenticeship Agency (CAA) for the Construction Sector
If you would like more information or guidance on employing an Apprentice, please contact Claire Maye on 01726 810241 (email@example.com)
We want to make the employing of an Apprentice a low risk option and we will also strive to find a suitable Apprenticeship Framework that suits your business. We can use any training provider to find the right training for your company.
Information for Employers
Cornwall Apprenticeship Agency – Employers Information Sheet
• Employers can receive a -1,500 grant for 16-24 year old apprentice taken on (up to 10 grants per employer), as long as you have not had an Apprentice start with your company in the last 12 months. Grants are paid after Apprentices have been on programme for at least 13 weeks but can take up to 20 weeks to come through.
• Apprenticeships are available to all ages, however only 16-18 year olds have their Apprenticeship training fully funded by the Government. If you recruit a 19-24 year old as an Apprentice, the training is co-funded (approx 50%) and if you recruit a 25+ Apprentice it’s 25% funded approx. In the case of you recruiting 19+ Apprentices you will need to contribute financially to the costs of the training; how much depends on the training provider. Typically -200 or -400 per year for 19-24 and 25+ Apprentices respectively.
• Minimum Apprenticeship duration is now 12 months; typically Apprenticeships will last between 12 and 24 months with progression routes to higher level Apprenticeships often available.
• National Minimum Wage for Apprentices is -2.68 an hour for any age person undertaking an apprenticeship within the first 12 months of the Apprenticeship; but reverts to National Minimum Wage proper for those who are 19+ at the 12 month point.
• We can support you with the entire recruitment process including developing job description, advertisement of the role, short-listing and interviewing of candidates, and all communication with candidates. In addition we would source the most suitable training packages tailored to your business requirements and broker any financial incentives. The charge for this is -250 plus VAT per apprentice. We do not collect this charge until an Apprentice has been on programme for 13 weeks (this ties in with the -1,500 grant that you may be entitled to).
• Cornwall Apprenticeship Agency’s model is distinctive in that we can employ the apprentices (handle payroll, tax and national insurance) and sub-contract apprentices in; the cost for this is -10 plus VAT per week plus the gross salary of the apprentice invoiced to you fortnightly. This option reduces the risk to you, certainly in the first instance whilst you get to know your Apprentice. If an Apprentice does not work out – you will need to give 2 weeks’ notice to the Agency. CAA will then find another employer for the Apprentice. If your Apprentice does work out – you can employ them directly at any point.
• The starting point for the recruitment of an Apprentice is a job description which defines the job and includes primary roles & responsibilities.